Thursday, March 28, 2013

Holy Week Food: Tuesday

Tuesday was a really mixed bag. I didn't feel very good and was exhausted a lot of the day, but I still got a lot done. I cleaned my room, for one thing, which makes me feel so much better!

I also cooked two dishes: chili and gluten-free cornbread.

I made up my own chili recipe, which is extremely straightforward: canned tomatoes, beans, onions, garlic, basil, pepper, salt. It was delicious.
Oops. I bought whole tomatoes.

The cornbread was not quite as much of a success. I used this recipe with two minor alterations. I used lactose-free milk, and since it's sweeter, I left out a tablespoon of brown sugar. If I were to make it again, I would leave in all the brown sugar.
The main problem was just that the raw ingredients are different here. I think my corn meal was of a much finer grain than American corn meal.
 The batter looked more like dough to me than I think of it as looking. Then again, the cornbread baked faster than our cornbread at home. Maybe the two are related?
It turned out ok. The flavor was good, but it was much denser than I think of cornbread as being. Either I mixed it too much, or the fineness of the cornmeal screwed it up. Or both. Anyway, it was perfectly edible, and I will keep experimenting.

The cornbread went extremely well with the chili, and I would call it a very successful dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment